Although the local real estate market, including Clifton Park NY, continues to be a buyers market there are 10 easy or inexpensive things every seller should do in order to expedite the sale of their home. The entire premise of this list is 1) CLEAN and 2) MINIMIZE. As a seller, you have every right to live anyway you chose, but if you want to maximize your selling price and minimize your Days on Market, then please follow these tips. This list starts outside the home because the old adage still holds true; first impressions are lasting ones.
- Paint or replace worn-out mail boxes.
- Paint faded shutters.
- Wash or paint your front door. If your storm door is old and unsightly, remove it. No storm door is better than a bad one.
- Replace or polish the front door knob, knocker, and kick-plate.
- Remove or replace tired or worn-out planters or other porch decorations/chairs/swings.
- Buy new door mats, inside and out.
- Use high watt light bulbs throughout the home, especially those rooms with poor lighting or dark paint colors.
- Pack EVERYTHING you won't need in the next 3 months. MINIMIZE items in bedroom closets, linen closets, coat closets, vanity cabinets, and underneath kitchen sinks. If you haven't used it in the last 3 months; pack it!
- Dust and CLEAN EVERYTHING. Wash walls, baseboards, doors, door knobs, blinds, curtains, light fixtures, paddle fans, register vents, window sills, behind the refrigerator, underneath and behind the stove.
- Remove and pack "excess" furniture, pictures, and, knick-knacks. I realize these items have special meaning to you but they do not mean anything to a potential buyer. All these things make a room feel very small.
I hope you found this list useful. If you are thinking of selling your home in Clifton Park NY, I invite you to interview me for the opportunity to represent you in the sale and marketing of your home.
Serving Raleigh NC and the Greater Triangle Region
Lewis Beynon, Broker
Norris Team of Century 21 Triangle Group